Introduction to Content and Language Integrated Learning – effective teaching in bilingual education.
Teachers who are new to teaching curricular content through a second (or third) language.
• Why and how CLIL works.
• A change of language, a change of focus: student-centred learning as the key to success in CLIL.
• The language(s) of CLIL; blending academic language with interpersonal language to foster bilingual competence.
• Assessment in a second language; overcoming the challenges inherent in assessing curricular content in a second language.
• To highlight the benefits of CLIL and the educational theories behind it.
• To highlight the importance of a student-centred methodology in the teaching of CLIL.
• To develop strategies for guiding input and scaffolding output in the bilingual classroom.
• To provide a framework for fair and rigorous testing in a second language.